Do you need to write a cover letter? Check out our cover letter writing tips for a perfect job application! (PS: Don’t forget to DOWNLOAD matching CV and Cover Letter Templates 📑)
Cover Letter Writing Tips
- Pick a basic font and font size that is easy to read: “Calibri“, “Arial” or “Times New Roman” with a 10 to 12-point font size is most suitable. In addition, be consistent and use the same font style and font size for both your cover letter and resume (with the exception of titles).
- A professional cover letter has margins of 1 inch on all sides which is similar to the normal settings in Microsoft Word. Furthermore, make sure that each paragraph is single-spaced with a white space in between each paragraph.
- Keep your cover letter short, concise and to the point with around 300 words. However, for government hiring you can use a word count of around 400. Reason being, government hiring is relatively holistic and plays a greater role in the hiring process. But remember, if you can’t provide enough valuable information, you’d better keep it short and concise.
- Maintain a tone of voice that is confident, courteous and sincere. Avoid clichés such as: “Working for company x/y/z is a dream come true” or “Ever since I was a little boy or girl” etc. In addition, Don’t use overly formal words or long complicated sentences, but write in “simple English”.
- Proofread your cover letter and use the word spelling check. If you really want to increase your chances of getting hired, let someone else review it.